Re: Question about the GPL copyright notice and the statement of copying

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Question about the GPL copyright notice and the statement of copying permission not being included in all the source files of a product.
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 15:25:12 +0200

carthik@gmail.com (Carthik) writes:

> If there is a license.txt in teh bundle, and no GPL copyright
> statements or anything else related to GPL in the individual source
> files, is the product (bundle) GPLed, are the source files GPLed?

It is unknown.

> I want to know if the product I received and the source files that
> constitute the product are GPLed.

You should ask the owner.

> The No is puzzling, cause if you do not mention anything about the GPL
> in the source files (all of them) then what "part" of the product _is_
> GPLed?

You can mention it other places, like on a web page or a press
release.

> My question is, to repeat myself, If a bundle (Tar file if you will),
> includes a GPL license document, but none of the source files in the
> bundle do, is the product GPLed, are the source files GPLed?

Still unknown.  I'd say that if there is no other reason to believe
the "bundle" is GPL'ed, and the owner claims it was never intended to
be GPL'ed, a judge would agree with the owner.  In general, unclear
copyrights tend to be interpreted restrictive, and in favor of the
owner.