Re: LGPL or GPL+"plugins welcome" ?

From: Werner Almesberger
Subject: Re: LGPL or GPL+"plugins welcome" ?
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 17:48:54 -0300

Brian Gough wrote:
> I think the following part of the GPL faq should cover your question,
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCLinkingOverControlledInterface

Ah, sorry, I'm afraid my question wasn't quite clear after all:
the plugin should be allowed to have any license it wants, be it
GPL or something proprietary.

The question is what license we should use on the core components,
i.e. the one that loads those plugin. If the GPL already allows
proprietary plugins, then, it seems, we wouldn't have to do
anything special. If it doesn't allow such plugins, we'd have to
do whatever is needed to give this additional permission.

This "whatever" could range from a clarifying statement ("If
you're just calling these functions, we don't consider you to be
incorporating out code, so your code is entitled to enjoy
whatever license meets your fancy.") to a dual license ("GPL,
plus, if you only use our published interface, you may write
plugins under any license.").

Thanks,
- Werner

 / Werner Almesberger, Buenos Aires, Argentina     werner@almesberger.net /