Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Haakon Riiser
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: 6 Jul 2004 16:12:37 +0200

[Arnoud Engelfriet]

> [...]
> Therefore the only question is whether a work linked to the
> GPL-licensed program qualifies as a "work based on the Program". See
> my comments above.

Again, thanks for your comments.  Apparently, there isn't yet
a definitive answer to the legalities of GPL/non-GPL linking,
so I'll leave it at that.  But there is one question I'd like to
have answered:  Would it be OK for a BSD licensed server to have
both proprietary and GPL'd clients connected via shared memory?
(Disregard the fact that some proprietary licenses may forbid
even aggregation with GPL.)  The BSD-style license is compatible
with the GPL, but is not viral, so hopefully this should be legal.

--
 Haakon