Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Rui Miguel Seabra
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 18:43:50 +0100

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 16:31 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> contributors, etc. Many companies, as a matter of "prudent policy",
> simply do NOT distribute and do NOT collaborate on the development
> of the [L]GPL'ed works.

*sigh* I love the 'Many' number. The inverse is also true. Manu
companies, as a matter of "prudent policy" not only distribute but also
collaborate on the development of [L]GPL'ed works.

>  It does NOT "protect" those works from
> stealing (I mean "clean room"-like process but with the use of the
> same algorithms, methods, nice ideas, etc. -- just get rid of the
> original protected expressions). All those closed-source clones
> would simply not exist.

No law "protects" any work. All laws protect are the artificial monopoly
rights granted by copyright law.

Software licenses merely sustain what you can or not do with the
software beyond copyright law. A copyright law violation is as severely
pursued be it Free Software as proprietary software, all it takes is the
rights' holder to take action.

You should stop a blind crusade (like yours) against the GPL. You're
sounding like a religious fanatic fighting something he considers a
filthy sin!

Rui