Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 23:12:45 +0200

Barak Zalstein wrote:

[... snip unfounded FSF's claims ...]

> 12 Does the CPL allow me to take the Source Code ...

What don't you understand? Linking != taking code. You're not applying
the terms of other license(s) when you just link something together.

"9. If I write a module to add to a Program licensed under the CPL and
 distribute the object code of the module along with the rest of the
 Program, must I make the source code to my module available in
 accordance with the terms of the CPL?

 No, as long as the module is not a derivative work of the Program."

1. DEFINITIONS

"Contribution" means:

    a) in the case of the initial Contributor, the initial code and
    documentation distributed under this Agreement, and

    b) in the case of each subsequent Contributor:

    i) changes to the Program, and

    ii) additions to the Program;

    where such changes and/or additions to the Program originate
    from and are distributed by that particular Contributor. A
    Contribution 'originates' from a Contributor if it was added to
    the Program by such Contributor itself or anyone acting on such
    Contributor's behalf. <LENSES ON> Contributions do not include
    additions to the Program which: (i) are separate modules of
    software distributed in conjunction with the Program under
    their own license agreement, and (ii) are not derivative works
    of the Program. <LENSES OFF>

"Program" means the Contributions distributed in accordance with
this Agreement.