Re: Is forcing "upstream" distribution really OK for free software?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Is forcing "upstream" distribution really OK for free software?
Date: 08 Jul 2004 10:01:11 +0200

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> I assume the FSF's position is mirrored in the GPL.  A license that
> requires that you obey the original developer's request to send
> changes back to him is not compatible with the GPL, so I don't think
> it corresponds to the FSF's philosophy.

That does not follow.  The FSF philosophy has a _lot_ of issues that
are not reflected in the GPL.  Not because they would not be part of
the FSF philosophy, but because the FSF would consider it even more
wrong to enforce them by way of a licence.  For example, the GPL has
no advertising clause.  Not because the FSF does not want advertising
(just see the GNU/Linux issue), but because it does not belong in
there.