Re: GNU license for a project

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: GNU license for a project
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 14:34:52 -0400

In article <813e5de0.0407080846.2a0ab148@posting.google.com>,
 hazael68@hotmail.com (Hazael Delgado Salazar) wrote:

> Well, I got a little confused about the topic.So, my question is:
> *Within the GNU licenses topic*, what else do I need in order to can
> regulate the "posting" of additions/corrections to the system is being
> developed?
> In other words: Is it enough to us only apply a GNU license to the web
> application?
> do we need to add "additional terms" or something else?

The GPL doesn't require people to redistribute modifications they make.
It only says that if they redistribute the binary, they must also make
source code available; but if they just use the modifications internally
and don't redistribute the executable, they don't have to share the
source (the GNU philosophy is to *allow* anyone to share, but not
*force* them to do so).  If you want that requirement, you'll need to
add additional terms.

If your program is derived from software that's already licensed under
the GPL, you cannot add additional requirements when you redistribute it
(see Clause 6 of the GPL).

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA