Re: Don't Waste Your Time With Linux

From: Jerry Basham
Subject: Re: Don't Waste Your Time With Linux
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:24:28 GMT

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 22:11:42 -0600, rfburn wrote:

> Lamar Rustin wrote:
>
>> Lamar Rustin <rusty156091kl1039204922@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> After enduring years of painful computing with Windows I decided to
>>> spring for SUSE Professional at $109.00 on Amazon. All I can say is DON'T
>>> waste your money on this pile of half completed garbage. I have a
>>> mainstream Asus P4P800 Deluxe Intel mother board and virtually nothing on
>>> this board worked.
>>> My RAID controller, a VIA 6410 did not work. Sound did not work. The giga
>>> ethernet did not work.
>>> SATA did not work.
>>> My scanner was not supported (Canon). My printer was not supported
>>> (Lexmark). My mouse extra buttons do not work (Logitech).
>>>
>>> My advice is to avoid Linux all together and use Windows XP because at
>>> least it works with all my hardware.
>>> Lamar
>
> Lamar,
> this is what it comes down to...
> you did not do your home work.
>
> And that is saying a lot because it doesn't take much home work (if any) to
> do any of the things you complain you were unable to do.
>
> I suggest that your problems have very little to do with Linux and almost
> everything to do with you.
>
> As for your last comment which read: "My advice is to avoid Linux all
> together and use Windows XP because at least it works with all my
> hardware".
>
> I wonder, why would I avoid Linux because it doesn;t work with YOUR
> hardware? Works with mine. And has worked on every computer I've installed
> Linux on over the four years I have been using Linux.
>
> rfburn

How about some advice for the man?  He stated some specific
hardware no-recognition problems.  I don't have the ability
to help him because I'm not familiar with SuSE quite that
deeply.

It's easy to see he's just pissed off enough about things
to toss the whole thing and *say* he's going back to XP
or whatever, but there are probably readers of this NG
who may be having similar problems as he's having.  "YOU
are the problem" solves nothing and lends to the perception
that Linux users are a bunch of elitist crap-heads.

I wish I had the knowledge to help with the Lexmark printer
or the Canon printer, but I don't (I'm nearly certain there
are driver issues, but it could be something else in the
configuration).

As it is, I messed with SuSE 9.1 Professional boxed set
($89 retail at Best Buy) for a couple of weeks before just
giving up after hours on end of Googling my software
issues.  I ended up with an Edmund's Enterprises CD set of
Fedora Core 2.  What a dream Linux distro!  But that's
another thread (another NG, actually).

My point is those with the knowledge should be trying
to help even the angry ones, the ones mad enough to be
spouting how they're going back to Windows, etc.  When
you do that you place Linux users in a better position
to brag about how much smarter the Linux community is,
imo.

    --- Jerry B.