Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: 09 Jul 2004 17:17:19 +0200

> David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
> > Well, this is perfect.
>
> Thank you.
>
> >                         Then you don't need to coerce others into
> > trying out your phantasy theories: just go forward, convince
> > yourself of what you are desperately trying to convince others,
> > and see whether this lands you in court. ...
>
> By that logic everybody should be paying SCO tax long ago.

Not that it would be relevant: but just _how_ do you arrive at that
conclusion?

> Look, it doesn't seem to land TiVo, Cisco, and others in court. But
> the FSF keeps talking about "violations".

Well, if it not themselves that can be called a major violated party,
then it is not up to them to sue.  They can still talk about it.

> I "pester" you here trying to find out who's "right" (have a better
> argument).

But that's subjective.  You should rather check what courts consider a
good argument.  And then you should check the copyright holder's
opinion to know just when the court might get asked in the first
place.

> I've made my mind up on this but I may be wrong. Thus far, you
> failed to present any coherent arguments whatsoever that would
> change my mind. Please try again. TIA.

That's not my business.  Better ask the copyright holder.  That will
give you a good guess about when you will go to court, and with what
claim.