Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Rainer Weikusat
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:57:05 +0800

> Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> [... copyright misuse ...]
>
>> The GPL does not contain a grantback provision,
>
> Sure it does. It triggers when I want to distribute derivative works.

It does not. The GPL forbids redistribution of GPL'ed works as part of
non-GPL'ed works and nothing more. To quote:

        These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole.  If
        identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the
        Program, and can be reasonably considered independent and
        separate works in themselves, then this License, and its
        terms, do not apply to those sections when you distribute them
        as separate works.

Voila -- no grantback.