Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:42:06 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> however.  If, for example, some "B" has written some clever sorting
> routine into the code which he then redistributes under the GPL,
> nobody but B has the right to create non-GPL versions of the same

< pseudo-code >

-----
// GPL'ed stuff.c

f(/*...*) {
  qsort(/*...*/);
  /*...*/
}

-----
// Also GPL'ed (derivative work; modifications are non-copyrightable
// [too little creativity] but still falls under reciprocation provision)
// stuff2.c
  // qsort(/*...*/);   @@... REMOVED ...
  my_sort(/*...*/); // @@... ADDED (same interface)
}

-----
// my_sort.c implementation of my_sort() NOT UNDER THE GPL

If you claim that I have to GPL "my_sort.c" (when I distribute both
stuff2.c/o and my_sort.c/o as part of some aggregation/compilation)
then THIS IS MISUSE.