Re: Question About GNU General Public License

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Question About GNU General Public License
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:28:57 +0200

Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
[...]
> Then why doesn't the program fullfil its purpose without the
> library, either at compile time or at run time?

I'm tired of you. Copyright law doesn't care whether it does "fulfill
its purpose" or does not. And it cares neither about "compile time"
nor about "run time". Section 101 of the United States Copyright Act
defines a "computer program" as "a set of statements or instructions
to be used directly or indirectly in a computer in order to bring
about a certain result."

#include <war>

int main() {
  unsigned explosive_power = 0;
  while (still_not_elminated("FSF"))
    send_a_bomb("FSF", explosive_power += 10/*kiloton*/);
}

is a complete computer program (race condition aside or a moment ;-) )
even apart from <war> declarations and definititions. Got it now?