Re: Question About GNU General Public License

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Question About GNU General Public License
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:54:21 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> And you'd claim that the usage licence of those programs allow taking,
> analyzing and distributing the resulting memory image after linking
> with their compiler?

No (unless you pay them per copy). Because they don't allow copying
and you can't own a copy without paying for it (their "we don't sell
copies, we license rights to use"*** stance aside for a moment).

>                      So that, in effect, you would be allowed to use
> this process for generating a symbol table from the library and
> distribute this without restriction?

Stuff like extracted symbol tables is non-copyrightable. You can
copy and distribute it as much as you want (enforceable contractual
restrictions aside for a moment).

> Care to quote the passage from their licences that permits this, or
> some court law that states that symbol tables are not considered
> derived works?

See above.

***) http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=40D7E7C0.64F74067%40web.de