Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:23:53 +0200

telford@xenon.triode.net.au wrote:
[...]
> Thus correct gameplay for the FSF is to claim exactly as much as any other
> large copyright holder is claiming.

Nobody in the software business (except SCO/"(FSF ^ SIGNBIT)"-parody,
but they aren't really in the software business any more) is pushing
the definition of "derivative work" to the utmost limit. Go read
creativecommons.org's share-alike licenses. Read also this:

http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:8400

<quote author=OSI's general counsel and secretary>

Let's be candid about what behavior we want to affect by our
reciprocal licenses. I believe we want to make sure that changes,
bug fixes and enhancements to our software are returned to the
commons. But we don't want to discourage the use of our open
source software in combination with other software, proprietary
or open. By distinguishing between *derivative works* and
*collective works* as the copyright law itself does, we can
better achieve this balance.

The courts may ultimately make clearer the sorts of
transformations of software that result in the creation of
a derivative work. In the meantime, I have found no case that
even suggests that the mere linking of one black-box program to
another results in the creation of a derivative work of either.
And why should it?

</quote>

Note that both GPL and LGPL are approved open-source licenses.