Re: SCO laying an ambush for the GPL?

From: John Phillips
Subject: Re: SCO laying an ambush for the GPL?
Date: 19 Jul 2004 20:27:47 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0407192020230.1726-100000@yeoshua.ukpost.com>,
Jason Clifford wrote:
> If the GPL is declared unlawful or unenforcable the only person(s) having
> any right to the software is the author(s) and anyone who chooses to
> accept the terms as a contract.

Let me quibble. If the doctrine of copyright misuse is the reason the
GPL is declared unenforceable [1] then AIUI the copyright owners lose
their ability to enforce their rights (never mind the financial problems
of doing so anyway).  In effect this grants rights to others.

However I believe it remains true that no-one else can claim those
copyrights and enforce them over the copyright owners or others.

[1] I still think this is not likely.

--
John Phillips