Re: Questions on proprietary program using gcc libraries

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Questions on proprietary program using gcc libraries
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:40:11 +0200

Barry Margolin wrote:
[...]
> > Statically and dynamically linked "packages" are compilations, not
> > derivative works.
>
> OK, but the copyright owner has control over use of his work in
> compilations, so the GPL still applies.

Nope. I own all those copies included in the compilations. First
sale.

>                                          Are you suggesting that this
> falls under the "mere aggregation" clause, so the application that's
> linked with the GPLed library can be distributed under a
> non-GPL-compatible license.  This effectively makes the GPL equivalent
> to the LGPL in the case of libraries.

Even less than LGPL (totally silly thing only good to quasi lose
the copyright; I mean the penalty for copyright misuse). The GPL
just can't establish "more protection" than the CPL, or the OSL,
or the creativecommons.org's commercial share-alike license. It's
time to wake up and realize the truth, really.