News: Former dictator to fund FSF

From: ziliath
Subject: News: Former dictator to fund FSF
Date: 25 Jul 2004 09:59:29 -0700

LIMA (EP): Former dictator Augusto Pinochet, who in his late age
has become an advocate for the use of free software, has stated
that he plans to make a large donation to the Free Software Foundation,
headquartered in Boston Massachusetts, USA. Asked why he would support
software freedom when he stands accused of abusing the human rights of
thousands of his former citizens and indeed of ordering death squads to
eliminate many of them, Pinochet said, "They were god damned dirty
communists so now they are dead. I believe in freedom." Barkley Kuhn,
representing the Foundation, has stated that his organization has no quarrel
with donors. "They don't determine our policies," said Kuhn. Asked if
the fact that a human rights abuser who took away the freedoms and
lives of so many might weigh on the his conscience, Kuhn chuckled and
said simply, "No one bit."