Patents and the GPL

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Patents and the GPL
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 14:21:40 +0200

Please help me to sort this out. Apache says "legal limbo". I
suspect that this is nothing but yet another episode in the
"FSF Comedy" saga. I also don't quite understand the "You may
add Your own copyright statement..." provision in section 4
of the Apache License.

TIA... and enjoy it. ;-)

http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html

Apache License v2.0 and GPL Compatibility

A lot of noise has been made recently about this brief
comment that was placed on the Free Software Foundation's
license comments page on 18 Feb 2004:

The Apache Software License, version 2.0

This is a free software license but it is incompatible with
the GPL. The Apache Software License is incompatible with the
GPL because it has a specific requirement that is not in the
GPL: it has certain patent termination cases that the GPL
does not require. (We don't think those patent termination
cases are inherently a bad idea, but nonetheless they are
incompatible with the GNU GPL.)

After spending a couple hours on the phone with the FSF, we
have a better understanding of the particular interpretation
of the GPL that might lead one to construe the following:

1. granting an explicit patent license causes any implicit
patent licenses to be null and void;

2. revoking that explicit patent license causes the person
who is claiming infringement of their patent to lose the
patent rights that would otherwise have been attained via
the GPL's implicit rights;

3. loss of patent rights means loss of right to use;

4. GPL section 7 allows a patent owner to claim infringement
of a patent within a GPL'd work and continue to distribute
that work as GPL up until a third party imposes a restriction
on the rights of others to distribute (i.e., until a
judgment or injunction is placed on the work).

5. GPL section 6 saying "You may not impose any further
restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights
granted herein" does not apply to patents because the
"rights granted herein" are only copyright.

This is our current understanding of the position held by
the FSF; whether or not our understanding is correct has
not yet been confirmed.

Note that this is contrary to our previously stated belief
that the GPL does forbid the continuing use of a GPL'd work
by an entity that has claimed the work contains infringement
of their own patented technology. Apparently, it is okay for
the distribution and use to continue up until a judgment or
injunction has been issued because the FSF does not believe
a claim of patent infringement amounts to a restriction on
the rights of others to redistribute, and the constraint on
further restriction applies only to those rights listed
within the GPL itself (copyright).

Thus, it is conceivable that an entity owning a patent that
is believed to be applicable to a GPL'd work may continue
to distribute that work as GPL even after they have made an
infringement claim, up until the point where that patent is
successfully used to hinder distribution of the work beyond
that provided by the GPL, at which point they would have the
choice of either terminating their own distribution under
the GPL or declaring something like "this patented
technology may be used royalty-free if the embodiment is
distributed under the GPL."

As such, it finally makes some sense as to why the FSF claim
of incompatibility was made. However, the above is based on
the assumption that a patent exists within the work, the
assumption that implied patent licenses on the GPL-covered
derived work would be compromised by an explicit patent
license within one of its parts, and the assumption that an
implied patent license is capable of being extended to the
making of new or modified copies of the work by someone other
than the patent owner. In any case, we do not believe that a
work which has no licensed patents from contributors could
ever be subject to the above restrictions, and thus it is
the presence of a successfully enforced patent that causes
incompatibility and not the license itself.

The Apache Software Foundation considers this issue to be
in legal limbo, at least until we get a definitive answer
regarding the survivability of implied patent licenses. We
are still working with the FSF in order to resolve the
issue, which may result in future changes to either or both
of our licenses. In the mean time, the FSF requests that
you do not consider the two licenses to be compatible. The
Apache Software Foundation believes that you should always
try to obey the constraints expressed by the copyright
holder when redistributing their work, even when those
constraints may be unclear. In the future, we hope that
the FSF will find a way to express their license terms
such that they are understandable by recipients of the
license, rather than requiring interpretation of the
people who wrote it.

Background

GPL compatibility is defined by the FSF, on that same
page, as: "This means you can combine a module which was
released under that [compatible] license with a GPL-
covered module to make one larger program." Compatibility
is enforced within the GPL by section 2b:

2b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish,
that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the
Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at
no charge to all third parties under the terms of this
License.

and reinforced by section 6:

6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work
based on the Program), the recipient automatically receives
a license from the original licensor to copy, distribute or
modify the Program subject to these terms and conditions.
You may not impose any further restrictions on the
recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein. You are
not responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties
to this License.

The Apache Software Foundation is well aware of these
clauses and their purpose under copyright law: to ensure
that code distributed under the terms of the GPL remains
under the GPL. We have no desire to change the terms
under which GPL-covered software is distributed. However,
we do not share the same goals as the Free Software
Foundation. Our goals are focused on the support of
collaborative development. The only things we desire from
a license are protection of our developers from frivolous
lawsuits and giving everyone the right to use our code
however they wish, even when they redistribute our code
in non-open-source products.

In this case, we would like to enable people who are
producing GPL-covered products to use some of the software
libraries that we create and distribute under the Apache
License. That is one of the reasons we included the
following in section 4 of the Apache License:

You may add Your own copyright statement to Your
modifications and may provide additional or different
license terms and conditions for use, reproduction, or
distribution of Your modifications, or for any such
Derivative Works as a whole, provided Your use,
reproduction, and distribution of the Work otherwise
complies with the conditions stated in this License.

In order to protect our users and contributors against
some forms of patent litigation, we also include the
following explicit patent license from our contributors
to the recipients of the work in section 3 of the Apache
License, along with a termination clause for reciprocity:

3. Grant of Patent License. Subject to the terms and
conditions of this License, each Contributor hereby
grants to You a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive,
no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable (except as stated
in this section) patent license to make, have made, use,
offer to sell, sell, import, and otherwise transfer the
Work, where such license applies only to those patent
claims licensable by such Contributor that are necessarily
infringed by their Contribution(s) alone or by combination
of their Contribution(s) with the Work to which such
Contribution(s) was submitted. If You institute patent
litigation against any entity (including a cross-claim or
counterclaim in a lawsuit) alleging that the Work or a
Contribution incorporated within the Work constitutes
direct or contributory patent infringement, then any
patent licenses granted to You under this License for
that Work shall terminate as of the date such litigation
is filed.

Section 7 of the GPL says:

7. If, as a consequence of a court judgment or allegation
of patent infringement or for any other reason (not limited
to patent issues), conditions are imposed on you (whether
by court order, agreement or otherwise) that contradict the
conditions of this License, they do not excuse you from
the conditions of this License. If you cannot distribute
so as to satisfy simultaneously your obligations under this
License and any other pertinent obligations, then as a
consequence you may not distribute the Program at all. For
example, if a patent license would not permit royalty-free
redistribution of the Program by all those who receive
copies directly or indirectly through you, then the only
way you could satisfy both it and this License would be to
refrain entirely from distribution of the Program.

We interpreted this to mean that you cannot redistribute
software that is covered by a patent wherein the patent is
not licensed free for everyone. In fact, a more narrow
interpretation is that you cannot redistribute the software
once a restriction has been imposed that prevents
redistribution to everyone under the GPL. What we hadn't
considered is that the patent might be owned by an entity
like the FSF and licensed exclusively to GPL implementations.
We still don't understand how such a patent could be added
to the ASL2 work in the first place, but if it were added
and would be subject to the termination clause and was not
available for use separately under the GPL, then it might
affect the redistribution of the combined GPL work when
distributed by or through the patent owner.

No, we don't have any patents

The Apache Software Foundation is a nonprofit organization
that is dedicated to open source software development. We
never knowingly incorporate patented technology in our own
products unless such technology has been offered free for
everyone.

Please note that this discussion only benefits third parties
that produce GPL-covered products. The Apache Software
Foundation does not allow its own projects to distribute
software under licenses more restrictive than the Apache
License, and the Free Software Foundation does not
distribute software under the Apache License.

The ASF will not dual-license our software because such
licenses make it impossible to determine the conditions
under which we have agreed to collaborate on a collective
product, and are thus contrary to the Apache spirit of
open, collaborative development among individuals,
industry, and nonprofit organizations.

Copyright © 1999-2004, The Apache Software Foundation
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.