Re: GPL'ing Solaris won't save SUN

From: Richard L. Hamilton
Subject: Re: GPL'ing Solaris won't save SUN
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:28:51 -0000

In article <3d6111f1.0408232247.59288a4c@posting.google.com>,
        mikecoxlinux@yahoo.com (Mike Cox) writes:
> Alan Coopersmith <alanc@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote in message
>> mikecoxlinux@yahoo.com (Mike Cox) writes in comp.unix.solaris:
>> |Then why the hell should a linux advocate even care if SUN is going to
>> |Open Source Solaris?
>>
>> Perhaps they shouldn't.
>
> They don't.  And CEOs don't either. If you talk to people in IT, SUN
> is becoming the definition of clueless. Most Unix shops are now run by
> Linux advocates, look how quickly Linux is replacing Unix.  If Linux
> advocates don't guide the PHB to SUN (and they won't if it doesn't
> have a TRUE Linux strategy), then IBM will get all SUN's business.
> Funny how quickly the tables turn.  Throughout the 90's SUN was eating
> IBM's mainframe business, and now SUN is totally clueless.

If clueless == not kissing ass to a matter of fashion (Linux), then
I'm all for being clueless.

>> |If a person who is not a SUN engineer/employee
>> |cannot make changes to the CVS or take code and put it in another OS
>> |(aka BSD license), then it has no value.
>>
>> Maybe no value to you, but it still has lots of value to lots of other
>> people, even with those restrictions.
>
> I really don't care what SUN does or what Linux advocates do.  I'm a
> Windows user, and my company is a successful windows shop.  I'm just
> pointing out that SUN is more delusional then the Linux camp.  Linux
> will never win the desktop, and open-sourcing Solaris will fail. If I
> were running SUN, I'd keep Solaris closed source, add Linux affinity,
> rebrand Solaris 10 to show that linux affinity, and then get Linux to
> run on every single SUN box.  Those are the things that will stop
> SUN's hemoraging of customers.

If you have Linux affinity (that is, being able to run Linux binaries
and compile Linux source with considerably less effort), what point
is there in porting Linux to every single Sun box, just to be able to
say you did?  WTF does that do for real customers?  Whatever you may
think, the Linux fashion police will never take over most enterprises;
Linux may be _used_ in most enterprises in certain roles where it
suits well, but that's a matter of using the right tool for the job,
not a matter of putting one OS everywhere.

--
mailto:rlhamil@smart.net  http://www.smart.net/~rlhamil

Lasik/PRK theme music:
    "In the Hall of the Mountain King", from "Peer Gynt"