Re: What's the status of sourceless live linux distros?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: What's the status of sourceless live linux distros?
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 18:44:33 +0200

> David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
>> The claim is spelled out "I gave you unilateral permission not to be
>> bound by copyright law if you obey the GPL.  You chose not to, so you
>> are bound by copyright law. ...
>
> And I say that the GPL is nothing but a buggy hack of copyright
> law barred by the doctrines of first sale and copyright misuse
> (both are defenses).

It does not matter whether it is "barred".  That would make the
product covered by normal copyright law, not place it in the public
domain.

So the GPL can be as buggy as it wants to: if the user does not accept
it, he is back to square one: normal use of a copyrighted work without
any permissions over the default ones by law.