Re: Why are software patents wrong?

From: JEDIDIAH
Subject: Re: Why are software patents wrong?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:42:58 -0500

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]
On 2004-10-16, threeseas <timrueAT@mindspringDOT.com> wrote:
> Two catagories of answers:
>
> symptoms and cause
>
> or from the other direction:
>
> cause and effect.
>
> Seems to me many have found arguement against software patents that only
> deal with the symptoms or effect of software patents, rather then the

Those effects are the only thing that are relevant.

> more fundamental underlying reasons why software doesn't qualify for
> patent status.

Those effects are the only thing that ultimately legally allow any form
of intellectual property to exist at all. Patents have never really been
anything more than a means to achieve a particular stated (in the US
Constitution) public policy objective.

[deletia]

--
        Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates         |||