Re: Why are software patents wrong?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Why are software patents wrong?
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:20:37 +0200

Liam Slider wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:18:43 +0000, threeseas wrote:
>
> > why do you think software should not be patentable? and is your answer
> > cause or effect?
>
> One reason, among many, is that software is already protected under
> copyright laws.

Copyright doesn't protect design aspects of software. Copyright
protects only expression (modulo filtration step of the AFC test).

For example,

http://listman.redhat.com/archives/phil-list/2003-October/msg00030.html

That five-liner is worth a patent, oder? I mean that its windows
version (using auto-reset event instead of "futex") is much better
than MS implementation of "critical section" (lazy event init aside
for a moment). So why not make "MS world" pay? ;-) ;-)