Re: open source software for CART and Principal Component Analysis

From: Matthias Kirschner
Subject: Re: open source software for CART and Principal Component Analysis
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:45:56 +0100

* Leo <demianheart@hotmail.com> [2004-12-20 17:42:55 +0000]:

> I need open source software, or however a free software (i would download
> and use it without pay!), for manage data with CART or Principal Component
> Analysis. Tipically Matlab is the best software solution, but it isn't free!
> GNU Octave is free but not more powerful! Then, please, could you help me?

Please read [1]:
"Free software" is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the
concept, you should think of "free" as in "free speech", not as in
"free beer".

Free software is a matter of the users' freedom to run, copy,
distribute, study, change and improve the software. More precisely, it
refers to four kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:

    * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
    * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to
      your needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a
      precondition for this.
    * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your
      neighbor (freedom 2).
    * The freedom to improve the program, and release your
      improvements to the public, so that the whole
      community benefits (freedom 3). Access to the source
      code is a precondition for this.

Best wishes,
Matze

[1] http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html