School encouraging non-free software

From: Zen Lunatic
Subject: School encouraging non-free software
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:43:20 -0500

I'm going back to school in the fall (college) after some time out of
school. Back in the day I remember the school requiring us to use
non-free software in certain classes like maths and english. Math they
used windows with a custom propreitary math app. It was basically like
an audio book with interactive visuals. In english they made us use
windows with word to write our papers in the class sometimes. I also
remember imacs in the science lab with some science software we had to
use. They also had a printer set up on those machines so it would be
hard to introduce my own debian laptop as a substitute. What should I
do? I already have my english credits. But what about maths? I'm going
to see if they have maths without the computer and just
textbook/lecture. What if I have to use non-free software to get my
degree? Should I make a big stink about it and say I'm not going to
use the non-free software even if I fail the class? Also what about
internet. I surely won' t be able to use my computer (debian) for the
internet because they have no wireless, so I'll be forced to use
Windows to get online. What should I do?