Re: School encouraging non-free software

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: School encouraging non-free software
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:56:51 -0600

Zen Lunatic writes:
> It seems almost impossible to use all free software in ones life, and
> live "ethically pure" as I'm sure the GNU project would put it.

I'm not finding it difficult.

> I mean airplanes use HP-UX, so would I quit flying? Should I not use the
> internet because some sites run on IIS/Windows? Is that considered
> "using" software in the free software sense?

No.

> The new plasma televisions almost run OS's (non-free)...

Television is _very_ easy to do without.

> ...I'm sure even old tvs use non-free roms etc...

Young, aren't you?  _Old_ TVs have no digital electronics in them at all.

> The question of whether all software should be free is really what I'm
> getting at.

The assertion that software should be Free does not imply that one should
go to extraordinary lengths to avoid associating one self with non-Free
software.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org