Re: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software

From: Henrik S. Hansen
Subject: Re: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:15:50 +0100

Stefaan A Eeckels <tengo@DELETEMEecc.lu> writes:

> While I agree that the OP isn't exactly trying to honour the spirit of
> the GPL, claiming that a program is a derivative work of the programs
> it depends upon for its execution (like libraries, OS, shells etc.)
> is both incorrect and counter-productive.

Please get a clue before calling others incorrect and
"counter-productive".  You are completely wrong.  One thing is that you
actually believe what you say, another is repeating it to others
thoughtlessly, thereby propagating FUD.

A quote from the GPL FAQ (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html):

Q: You have a GPL'ed program that I'd like to link with my code to build
   a proprietary program. Does the fact that I link with your program
   mean I have to GPL my program?

A: Yes.

--
Henrik S. Hansen     http://freecode.dk/~hsh/
Computer science (software engineering) student