using GPL api to be used in a properietary software

From: Wahaj
Subject: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:36:44 +0500

Hi,

I had posted a question on the use of GPL with properietary software. I think linking of any kind i.e. static or dynamic of a GPLed API makes the caller to also become GPLed. This is clear now. But my original comment was:

1) We can create an exe of the GPLed API and call it from a properietary application. The exe gets the parameters performs its tasks and the calling application can get the output

The above seems OK as the exe (called it GPL-exe) based on the GPLed API is a seperate application and this exe is being called by a properietary application. GPL-exe will be based on GPL license and the properietary have its own. Is it fine ? Also I believe packaging this GPL-exe with the properietary exe have no issue.

Regards,
Wahaj