Licensing Fonts

From: Geoffrey Washburn
Subject: Licensing Fonts
Date: 27 Mar 2005 14:58:51 -0800

I'm currently in the process of developing some new fonts using
METAFONT.
There were a couple points that I was unclear on when it comes to
programs that are fonts under FSF licenses.

1) If I GPL the source code to my font, does embedding or referencing
the
resulting binary created when the font is rendered and/or traced count
as
statically or dynamically linking?  Should I use the LGPL if I want
people to
be able to use the binary form of my font in any document they like?

2) If I GPL the source code to my font, am I allowed to retain a
separate
copyright claim over the name of the font?  That is. may I give others
the
right to produce any derivative fonts they like, but require that they
must
name them differently?