Re: Licensing Fonts

From: Geoffrey Washburn
Subject: Re: Licensing Fonts
Date: 27 Mar 2005 17:01:44 -0800

> The LGPL still demands that any recipient of the document must be
able
> to replace the letters in the resulting document with newer versions.

> This would be completely impossible if the metrics changed.

That seems kind of impractical.  Especially if someone receives the
document
in print format.  The technology just isn't there yet.

> You can't copyright a name.  You can at best trademark it.

Oops.  Yes, that is what I meant.  Sorry about the terminological
mix-up.

> The LPPL does the naming restriction by binding the permission to the
condition
> that the name not be changed.  This does not work by copyrighting
the
> name, but by only refraining from exercising the full power of
> copyright over the work when certain conditions are met.  Neither
the
> LGPL nor the GPL allow any additional restrictions to be placed on
> software.

I'm not sure I follow.  I just did some quick investigation, and for
example AbiSource provides the source to AbiWord under the GPL, yet
retains the trademark on AbiWord.   See

http://www.abisource.com/tm_guide.phtml

They have a slight trick with appending "Personal", but that doesn't
seem
to be too terrible.

> Sounds like your goals are not really compatible with either the GPL
> or the LGPL.

Okay, fair enough, but what licensing does the FSF recommend in this
situation?
I do not see how my goals are incompatible with "promoting computer
users' rights to use, study, copy, modify, and redistribute computer
programs."