Re: Licensing Fonts

From: Geoffrey Washburn
Subject: Re: Licensing Fonts
Date: 28 Mar 2005 07:27:45 -0800

Isaac wrote:
> I would not expect that to be the case.  Most likely, US law would
govern
> what subject matter would be protectable in a US court.

I was under the impression that by agreeing to the Berne convention,
the United States must "respect the copyright on fonts, if such
copyright exists in the countries they were designed in. Fonts designed
outside the United States become subject to protection as artistic
works".  Quote from http://www.typeright.org/feature4.html.  However, I
have no idea how judges or lawyers would interpret it, so I could be
completely wrong.  Regardless, I am not really interested in protecting
my artistic designs.