Re: Bill Gates doesn't want Americans working for him

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Bill Gates doesn't want Americans working for him
Date: 27 Apr 2005 22:01:19 -0700

Paul Bramscher wrote:
> masked.slacker@gmail.com wrote:
> > Yibbels wrote:
> >
> >>Despite the fact that Microsoft receives $1 billion
> >>per year in undeserved tax breaks, apparently big
> >>Republican donor Bill Gates doesn't feel there's
> >>any reason he should employ actual Americans workers.
> >>As the following news story explains, Bill Gates wants
> >>to do away with all limits on H1B visas, which are the
> >>primary visa used in the high tech industry. This would
> >>leads to a jump in the unemployment rate, destroy careers,
> >>and would lead to a rush to import cheap workers which
> >>would certainly put national security at greater risk.
> >>
> >>http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBZXQZY18E.html
> >

> > Given Microsoft's business practices and history, is this any
surprise?

> > The only thing they give a shit about is their bottom line, and
that
> > it.  Nothing else matters.  And they will do anything to achieve
that.
> > No matter what the cost to everything around them.
>
> That's capitalism, the American way.  Whether or not they want to
admit
> it, many Linux advocates are promoting a form of Kropotkin-style
> anarchism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Kropotkin).  I'm not
> afraid to admit it.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchist_communism
>
> "In anarcho-communism, profit no longer exists. Not only that, but
goods
> are given away as gifts in the certainty that others will also give
> products back (in an industrial setting, this would occur between
worker
> syndicates as well as between individuals). If one syndicate does not

> share their products, they will not receive resources from other
> syndicates, making it in their best interest to share."

Uh right.  Yup.  I'm anti-capitalism.  Go Communism!!  That's me...

You're really demonstrating an utter lack of understanding about what
Open Source is actually about.  I do think that businesses should be
free to pursue the practices that are most profitable.  I do not
believe that there should be equal pay for equal work.  I don't even
think the government should be supporting those who can't or won't work
at the expense of others.  I certainly don't believe that profit should
not exist.

I DO believe that American companies should not recieve incentives to
exploit labour conditions in third world countries, especially at the
expense of American citizens.

And I also believe that there are some things more important than money
and the bottom line.  To say that the ruthless pursuit of profit at any
cost is the American way is disgusting.

And as for Linux advocates being anarcho-communists, that's total
bullshit.  Some are sure, so are some Windows users.  I don't agree
with any of that.  What i do agree with is that open development where
the people who ultimately will be using a product are its developers
leads to software that will ultimately be better suited to their needs.
 That is why I am a Linux advocate.  Not because of some mis-guided
liberal economic theory.