Re: how much is too much?

From: Chad Whitacre
Subject: Re: how much is too much?
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 13:26:39 -0400

The bottom line seems to be that the street between copyleft and non-copyleft free software only runs one way: copyleft can incorporate non-copyleft and retain its identity, but not the other way around. I.e., the GPL's hegemony extends to non-copyleft free software as much as to proprietary software. Accurate?

Actually I suppose we would say that there is no street between copyleft and proprietary, so the relationship is not entirely parallel. Ok, how about a little ascii art. :-)

  copyleft <---- non-copyleft ----> proprietary

  - copyleft can incorporate copyleft and non-copyleft software
  - non-copyleft can incorporate non-copyleft software
  - proprietary can incorporate non-copyleft software

So copyleft gets two-thirds of the pie, while the others only get one-third, so to speak. And of course, this refers to incorporation of code rather than external usage via pipes, etc.

chad