Re: how much is too much?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: how much is too much?
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 23:47:06 +0200

> I'm not sure about copyright misuse (another defense against FSF's
> SCOish claims) -- seems to be pure US concept. Classic unenforceable
> unfair contract terms thing comes pretty close, but the FSF
> stubbornly claims that the [L]GPL is not a contract... so go figure,
> y'know. ;-)

What would it mean to "enforce" a unilateral permission?  You don't
need to agree to the conditions of the GPL if you are not in the mood.
The GPL states so itself in Term 5.

The GPL grants you certain freedoms that you would not have without
it.  If you don't want them, you can leave them alone.  But you are
not free to grab more than what was offered to you.

This is not enforcing the license.  It is enforcing the copyright from
which you were only given relief under conditions you chose not to
accept.