Re: Licensing question about the BSD

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: Licensing question about the BSD
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:50:40 -0500

David Kastrup writes:
> Wrong.  You own the media, not the content.

TITLE 17 > CHAPTER 1 > ยง 101:

  Copies are material objects, other than phonorecords, in which a work is
  fixed by any method now known or later developed, and from which the work
  can be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated, either directly or
  with the aid of a machine or device. The term copies includes the material
  object, other than a phonorecord, in which the work is first fixed.

> Because of the content to which you have no claim of ownership.

The only sense in which one may "own content" is as shorthand for "own the
copyright".  And one can certainly own copies of a work without owning the
copyright in it.

If I create a copy of a work in which you own the copyright out of
materials I own I may infringe your copyright in doing so but I still own
the copy.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org