Re: GDL Guidebook : Help please !

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: GDL Guidebook : Help please !
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:41:56 -0500

Rui writes:
> However, the DFSG is flawed when used against documents.  Because of a
> flawed reasoning, the RFCs have been moved into non-free.

I said nothing about Debian or the DFSG.  In fact, I disagree with the
current Debian policy on documents.

The GFDL has several problems.  One is the confusing language aimed at DRM
which makes it appear that the document cannot be stored on an encrypted
volume.  Another is the possibility that someone downstream will add
invariants which you will then be unable to remove.

> Its infantile to treat GFDL as if it was a software license.

It is unreaonable to invent complex licenses such as the GFDL for the
simple task of licensing documents.  If anything is "infantile" it is this
idea of "invariants".  If you are afraid that someone will do something
horrible to your political diatribes publish them under non-free terms, but
keep them out of Free Software documentation.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org