Re: why is non-free software immoral?

From: Rui Miguel Seabra
Subject: Re: why is non-free software immoral?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 17:02:28 +0100

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 11:54 -0400, Zen Lunatic wrote:
> > removing freedom is immoral.
>
> But why is removing freedom immoral?
>
> I am waiting to find the answer to this myself by taking a ethics
> class next semester, but maybe you can elaborate some here.

No class is needed to know why removing freedom is immoral. You have a
very serious problem if you don't instinctively know that.

The only other commonly acceptable (and even that is debatable) form of
removing freedom is when criminals are sentenced to jail, that is, as a
punishment for doing something very bad.

Enjoying the freedom to help your neighbour by giving him a copy of
something should not be discouraged nor punished.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?