Re: Free software movement similar to Islam?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Free software movement similar to Islam?
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:39:49 +0200

   Some similarities:

I don't see any similarities, you only wrote about OSS.  Not about
Free software.

   1. decentralized : there is no one Pope for either, although there
     are certainly Ayatollah wannabes in OSS like RMS.

RMS isn't part of the OSS movement.

   2. imperialistic [...]

   3. no dissent allowed [...]

The two comparisons make no sense.

   4. destructive : OSS radicals want to get rid of even the
     copyright, [...]

I don't know about OSS, but we--the Free Software movement--use
copyright law to protect our freedom.  Would be silly to destroy the
sword that protects us.