Including GPL and LGPL'ed software in a solution

From: davidjones
Subject: Including GPL and LGPL'ed software in a solution
Date: 14 Dec 2005 04:35:03 -0800

Hi All,

I know you get many questions like this, but I thought I just had to
ask, because it is so important that I get this right. Also sorry about
using the "bullshit bingo" term solution, but I want to be general
here.

I am providing a solution that populates a database and serves data
from this database on the web.  There shall be 3 separate applications;

A java application that collects the data and stores it in a MySQL
database.  This uses an LGPL library.
The MySQL database, straight out of the box.  I want to use the GPL
version.
A java servlet that queries the database and serves HTML pages.  I will
write this from scratch.

I do not believe I have a problem here with not releasing any of my
code.  The idea of the LGPL is to allow me to use the library without
releasing my code.  The code shall reside in different .class files.  I
would usually distribute it as a .jar file, but if this was a problem I
would not.

>From the MySQL web page; "Under the Open Source License, you must
release the complete source code for the application that is built on
MySQL."  My application uses MySQL, but I do not believe it to be a
derivative work, as it only makes queries.  I could leave the customer
to install their own database, but that is just not going to happen.

Is there enough ambiguity for a complaint to be made?  That would be
enough for me to lose my job probably.

Thanks for any advice.