Re: Linus, and whether tactfulness has any value

From: Edwin
Subject: Re: Linus, and whether tactfulness has any value
Date: 24 Dec 2005 06:22:50 -0800

Gespracht wrote:
> Recently a manager at my company made the statement that Linus,
> because he speaks too honestly and lacks tact, is somehow a
> person who lacks personal development, despite being
> entertaining and despite doing good things otherwise. I don't agree,
> because I believe that "tact" is merely a tool and that in many
> situations, its use can be abhorrent if not dangerous.

Linus is a computer geek, and English is a second language for him.
Tact is too much to expect from him.  Beside that, many Europeans seem
to practice a blunt, abrupt style of speech.

Linux has outgrown Linus anyway.   It's time to stop making a little
tin god out of him.   He's had his 15 minute of fame already.

[snip]