Re: Linus, and whether tactfulness has any value

From: thad01
Subject: Re: Linus, and whether tactfulness has any value
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:10:39 +0000 (UTC)

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Edwin <thorne25@juno.com> wrote:

> Linus is a computer geek, and English is a second language for him.
> Tact is too much to expect from him.  Beside that, many Europeans seem
> to practice a blunt, abrupt style of speech.

Od, my experience differes from yours.  I've found most Europeans
to be very polite and tactful.  Most of my experience is with
Germany, Holland, and England, so perhaps I would feel differently
if I traveled more of the continent.

Also, given the context of ego driven geekness that Linus must
operate in, I find Linus's behavior on the kernel mailing list
to be very tactful (relatively speaking).  He can be blunt when
he needs to be... but usually manages to do it without causing
personal offense.

> Linux has outgrown Linus anyway.   It's time to stop making a little
> tin god out of him.   He's had his 15 minute of fame already.

I don't think anyone has made a 'tin god' of him... at least not
among the true developer community.  He commands respect because
of his technical ability and his skill at coordinating and motivate
a very diverse group of contributors.  He is the defacto owner of
the kernel as long as he continues to earn that respect... and not
a minute longer.

If you think his 15 minutes are up, you are welcome to fork the
kernel tree and motivate the masses to follow you instead.

Thad