Re: NYC LOCAL: Friday and Saturday 13 and 14 January 2006 Free Culture N

From: BJ in Texas
Subject: Re: NYC LOCAL: Friday and Saturday 13 and 14 January 2006 Free Culture Northeast Regional Summit at Columbia University
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:30:58 GMT

http://www.freeculturenyu.org/2005/12/25/free-culture-ny-c-summit-creative-commons-copyright-criminals-remix-contest/
source="http://www.freeculturenyu.org/2005/12/25/free-culture-ny-c-summit-creative-commons-copyright-criminals-remix-contest";>
|| Free Culture NYC Summit + Creative Commons Copyright
|| Criminals Remix Contest
|| December 25, 2005 @ 2:03 am        Filed under News
|| Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday breaks. Free Culture
|| will be
|| back with some meetings soon once the spring semester starts,
|| but I
|| wanted to post two reminders.
|| First, Free Culture.org is hosting a New York City Regional
|| Summit on
|| January 13th and 14th at Columbia. Please register
|| immediately if you
|| are in the academic community in the area, as we need to
|| start making
|| arrangements for free food and other resources. NYU's own
Siva
|| Vaidhyanathan will be speaking and we'll have some folks from
|| Creative
|| Commons attending for a workshop on CC on campuses.
|| Second, check out Creative Common's Copyright Criminals Remix
|| Contest:
|| This is a contest for artists to mix audio tracks under 4
|| minutes
|| which use provided voice samples from Ben Franzen and Kembrew
|| McLeod?s
|| forthcoming film, "Copyright Criminals". Samples from the
|| film include
|| voiceovers from De La Soul, DJ Qbert, members of Public
|| Enemy, Matmos,
|| Coldcut, members of Negativland, and others. The best overall
|| winner
|| will be included prominently in the film and the top 11 other
|| entries
|| are to be included on a companion CD.
|| I'm sure it will turn out some great stuff, so keep an eye on
|| the page.
|| Anyway, happy new years, and see you at the summit!

Free culture? Bacteria is free, its only culture some people
have.

--
"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally
convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of