Question about GNU Free Document License

From: nealweston
Subject: Question about GNU Free Document License
Date: 20 Jan 2006 10:46:58 -0800

Hi All,

I have a question on the GNU Free Document License. I apologize if I
have come to the wrong forum to discuss this (if so perhaps someone
would be kind enough to direct me to the correct group should such a
group exist).

My problem is as follows:

I run a web site that contains a small collection of online books and
documents that have been made available by various authors under the
GNU Free Document License.

In one instance I have taken the HTML version of a book that is clearly
released under the GNU Free Document License (the book contains version
1.2 of the GFDL) from the author's web site and published it on my web
site.

The author of this book recently contacted me and requested that I
remove his book from my web site. He essentially claims that while the
printed version of the book is released under the GNU Free Document
License the contents of his web site (including the HTML version of the
book) is not.

As far as I am aware to conform with the GFDL he must make a
"transparent" version of his book available for others to use or
redistribute. In effect the HTML version of his book on his web site
constitutes a "transparent" copy and by taking that content and putting
it on my web site I am completely within the rights of the GFDL. I have
published only the content of the book and no other content from this
person's web site. I have also acknowledged this author's copyright and
included the GFDL in the content of the book as required. I have also
placed no restrictions on others downloading the book from my web site
if they choose to do so.

I'd be interested to hear if others share my interpretation of this
license or if there is some clause that I have missed. Does this author
have the right to ask me to remove his book from my web site or am I
within my rights to decline given that the book is covered by the GFDL?

Your opinions would be much appreciated - and once again my sincere
apologies if I have raised this issue in the wrong group.

Regards

Neal