Re: Running modified GPL software on a server

From: rex . eastbourne
Subject: Re: Running modified GPL software on a server
Date: 30 Jan 2006 18:20:08 -0800

Do you mean this?

"If distribution of executable or object code is made by offering
access to copy from a designated place, then offering equivalent access
to copy the source code from the same place counts as distribution of
the source code, even though third parties are not compelled to copy
the source along with the object code."

This seems to mean that it would NOT be OK to keep the code
proprietary, counter to what I've seen on this forum before.

But maybe it's this: the person accessing my website would not have
access to the software itself; they would only be able to use it in
narrow ways the webmaster has defined. In other words, it wouldn't be
OK to modify Emacs and allow people full remote use of it on my server
without giving out the source, but it would be OK to modify MySQL so
people can do simple searchbox queries through HTTP that query my
customized database. Does that sound right?