Re: GPL 3 and patents question

From: Claudio Nieder
Subject: Re: GPL 3 and patents question
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 12:37:47 +0100

Hi,

>> Section 12 says "if a patent license would not permit royalty-free
>> redistribution by all those who receive copies directly or indirectly
>> through you, then the only way you could satisfy both it and this License
>> would be to refrain entirely from distribution."
>
> He neither needs nor has a license so this does not apply.

It the second part it says: "The sole purpose of this section is to
protect the integrity of the free software distribution system."

I hope it is not understood as absolute protection, but only against
redistributor who wants to restrict source redistribution on purpose
through patent licence they own.

claudio
--
Claudio Nieder, Kanalweg 1, CH-8610 Uster, Tel +41 79 357 6743
yahoo messenger: claudionieder aim: claudionieder icq:42315212