Re: Extending/Redesigning GPL code into LGPL lib: possible?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Extending/Redesigning GPL code into LGPL lib: possible?
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 13:35:24 +0100

Confusion abounds in the GNU land.

GNUtian John Hasler wrote:
[...]
> Think of a license as being attached to the physical copies that you
> distribute under it, not to the abstract concept of the "work".  Just

And yet "You are not required to accept this License in order to
receive a copy of the Program." (upcoming GPLv3 9.[5] Not a Contract.)

In other news, Moglen freed blobs (free as in exempted from free as in
freedom).

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6028746-2.html
("From the point of view of the GPL work called the Linux kernel,
they're just data.")

And that's in spite of them being nothing but object code "which the
GPL code is intended to require, not merely optionally incorporate--is
part of the source code of the work under the GPL and must be released."

Riots arose all over the GNU Republic. The Coalition Death To Unfree
Blobs (free as in freedom, not price) called for emergency meeting of
the GNU Congress to free (as in impeachment) Eben from vice presidency.
The !GNU Movement in Underground and Stratosphere of the GNU Land also
promised to free Eben (as in "I let him go" by Schwarzenegger) for
stealing the idea from their yall (yet another license loophole)
0.6.6.6.oo that shows how to place the !GPL'd code in a separate
thread to be executed on a separate core or a processor. In
recognition of that grandiose theft event, the !GNU Movement in
Underground and Stratosphere of the GNU Land renamed yall 0.6.6.6.oo
into 0.6.6.6.bloby-eben and obtained a design patent (valid in
underground and stratosphere of the GNU land) on a t-shirt with a
slogan "Bloby Eben, bloby Eben, we'll set you free."

The President Stallman refused to make any comments except a short
statement "The GNU GPL is /my/ literary work, not Eben's".