Re: GPL and other licences

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: GPL and other licences
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:36:24 -0500

In article <43E2063B.A61D7308@web.de>,
 Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

> Barry Margolin wrote:
> >
> > In article <43E090DB.CFEC44EF@web.de>,
> >  Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:
> >
> > > Barry Margolin wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > What do you mean by "merge". They remain as two separate computer
> > > programs (or parts thereof, if you like) under copyright law. No
> > > protected expression was transformed/modified forming a derivative
> > > work. Combined executable is just an aggregation of many computer
> > > program works under copyright law. If you insist I can supply you
> > > with maps that will allow you to extract all those distinct
> > > components.
> >
> > Who said "combined executable"?
>
> I said.

OK, so why are you inventing new issues, rather than addressing the
topic of the thread?  The OP said "a derivative work combined from
software licensed under the Apache Software Licence 2.0 and software
licensed under the GNU GPL 2.0".  This sounds to me like he's using
pieces of source code, not combining executables.

> >                                 I'm talking about copying parts of the
> > source code of program A into a copy of program B, to create a new
> > program C.
>
> You're talking nonsense. Or, if you like, you're talking marketing.

I'm talking about what programmers do when they copy source code to
create a new program.

It sounds like you're assuming that he's linking a program with a
library.  I'm not sure how you got that from what he wrote.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA