Re: GPL and other licences

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GPL and other licences
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 10:47:30 +0100

"Alfred M\. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

>    > And if you use it internally in a business then you are distributing
>    > the program to anyone who uses it.
>
>    Your opinion differs from that in the GPL FAQ as writtem by the FSF.
>
> I fail to see how it differs.

Then I recommend you actually _read_ the FAQ.

> You are still required to follow the license even if you are only
> using it internally.  I never claimed that you are forced to
> distribute your changes to everyone.

<URL:http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#InternalDistribution>

Is making and using multiple copies within one organization or company
"distribution"?

    No, in that case the organization is just making the copies for
    itself. As a consequence, a company or other organization can
    develop a modified version and install that version through its
    own facilities, without giving the staff permission to release
    that modified version to outsiders.

    However, when the organization transfers copies to other
    organizations or individuals, that is distribution. In particular,
    providing copies to contractors for use off-site is distribution.