Re: GPL and other licences

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GPL and other licences
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:10:56 +0100

"Bernd Jendrissek" <berndj@prism.co.za> writes:

> In article <85wtg2uadr.fsf@lola.goethe.zz> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
> wrote:
>>The GPL can only give the owner of a copy rights.
>
> What if I, as a homeless vagrant scouring the city dump for cool
> stuff, some across a three-year-old CD with a bunch of GNU packages
> on it?
>
> I assume such a copy is legally acquired, even if the CD might have
> originally been stolen by a burglar only to be discarded later.

What if you, as a homeless vagrant scouring the city dump for cool
stuff, come across a cheque "to bearer"?  Is that cheque legally
acquired and can be cashed in by you?

What if you, as a homeless vagrant scouring the city dump for cool
stuff, come across the medical records of the town mayor?  Are those
records legally acquired and can be sold to the newspapers by you?