NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 1 March 2006 ISOC-NY: New York City Council Member

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 1 March 2006 ISOC-NY: New York City Council Member Gale Brewer on the NYC Grand Wireless Initiative
Date: 26 Feb 2006 15:34:58 -0500

Personal note from Jay Sulzberger:

Gale Brewer has begun an extraordinary effort to bring the Net to
those in New York City who today cannot afford full Net access.  So
far the City Council has not yet squarely dealt with the issue of what
"access to the Net" means.  This larger issue underlies the public
debates about "peer to peer", "Net neutrality", and
"telecommunications deregulation".

Today my ISP is Panix.  My Net machine is a full peer on the Great
Net.  I have the right and the practical power to send and receive
email by any means I choose.  I have the right and the practical power
to view websites and to run an http server by any means I choose.  I
have the right and the practical power to use any port I want for any
application riding on the standard transport mechanisms and using the
atandard protocols of the Net.  But neither Verizon nor Time-Warner
Cable offer to home users the same rights and powers.  When Gale's
initiative succeeds, I want that family, which is new to the Net, near
Broadway and Halsey in Brooklyn, to be as fully and as fairly Net
enabled as I am.

This is the battle.  And this ISOC-NY meeting is an engagement in the
battle.  Please join Gale Brewer and ISOC-NY at this meeting.

Below is the official ISOC-NY announcement.

Jay Sulzberger <secretary@lxny.org>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

  what="official ISOC-NY announcement">