Re: Too late! Window hasta la vista 5308 is now fully operational.

From: Peter Köhlmann
Subject: Re: Too late! Window hasta la vista 5308 is now fully operational.
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:45:51 +0100

Ian Hilliard wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:01:43 -0800, Rex Ballard wrote:
>
>> The irony is that Linux actually had easier to use tools.  Tools like
>> Python, Perl/TK, GTK, and Java AWT made it really easy to create really
>> simple and effective GUI interfaces to Linux applications.  On the
>> other hand, coding GUI interfaces in C or C++ with core toolkits was a
>> bit more challenging.  Microsoft was also really promoting the
>> dailights out of Visual Basic as the primary interface - partly to make
>> sure that applications could not be easily ported to Linux.
>
> Back in the mid-90's, Unix had X11 and Motif. There was a clone of Motif
> for Linux, but it was on very shakey ground. It was expected to be banned,
> as an illegal copy, at any time. Programming X11 directly was a great
> recipe for insanity. Motif was a little better, but not much.
>
> Microsoft came out with Visual Studio, where it was possible for a
> programmer, who didn't really understand about programming graphics, to
> produce reasonable looking GUIs. That sold Windows to the developers.
>
> Unfortunately, Linux still lacks a tool like Visual Studio, which makes
> the development of GUI software a matter of putting the bits where you
> want them and then compile, all in the same IDE. I know Borland had Kylix,
> which was supposed to do this, but it seems to have been still born. To
> that, QT has quite a high seat cost, if you want to produce commercial
> software. WxWidgets seem to insist on including GTK, which instantly makes
> it GPL.
>
> The managers of most software houses will not release their software under
> GPL, as this would permit the competition, which had not gone GPL to steal
> all their know-how and gain a competitive advantage. If Linux wants to
> become main-stream, this is an issue which needs to be settled, rather
> sooner than later.
>
> Ian

No, it doesn't.
Anyone producing commercial, non-free software can easily foot the licence
costs for QT
Anyone else doing in-house programming can use the GPL version.
As can all the guys who do not write software the commercial way
--
FLASH!  Intelligence of mankind decreasing.  Details at ... uh, when
the little hand is on the ....